Saturday, March 6, 2010

Happy Dance

G'day mates! It is a gray and chilly morning in Oregon. I've spent the pre dawn hours trying to come up with a new banner for my soap shop and I've been frustrated with the results over and over again. boo. waah. So like any other red blooded American girl, my thoughts turn to... breakfast! check this,



Ingredients:
Eggs – 4 Large
Spinach – 1 cup packed, roughly chopped
Bell Pepper – 1/2 cup, diced
Mushrooms – 1 cup, sliced
Green Onions – 2 stalks, finely chopped
French Bread – cubed
Cheese – 1 1/2 cups, shredded
Salsa – 1 cup
Milk – 3/4 cup
Cilantro/Coriander – 5 sprigs, finely chopped
Salt/Pepper – to taste
Green Chilies – to taste
...(what's not to be amazingly yum with these ingredients!)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and lightly coat a 2.75 – 3 quart baking dish with oil.
2. Layer Spinach, Mushrooms and Bell Pepper at the bottom of the baking dish.
3. Layer cubed French bread over the veggies.
4. Sprinkle shredded cheese over the bread and set aside.
5. In a bowl, add Eggs, Milk, Salt, Pepper and beat well.
6. Add to the egg mixture, Cilantro, Green Onions, Green Chilies and Salsa. Mix well.
7. Pour egg mixture evenly over the French bread.
8. Bake uncovered in the oven for 45 minutes.
9. Remove casserole and let it sit for 5 minutes before cutting.
10. Serve hot with additional salsa or pickled jalapenos.

Easy? I love easy. And the recipe comes with a video. I said easy.

found here, with links below that recipe to

Vegetarian Chili, A Super Bowl Delight
Mexican (Spanish) Rice
Tacos - Mexican Cuisine
Vegetable Manchurian, Indian-Chinese Cuisine
Garlic Asparagus, A Vegetarian Side
Szechuan Green Beans
Bean & Cheese Enchiladas
Refried Beans, Mexican Cuisine
Salsa, Mexican Vegetarian Dip
Penne Pasta, Italian Vegetarian Recipe

Come on! Do the happy dance with me!

Yes they call it comfort food, and I do get into trouble when I try to combat anxiety with food. Not to discount low morning blood sugar, and an inevitable coffee plummet, I found this awesome thought (here) and want to share.

"Jesus comes to his disciples to comfort them in their worst nightmare - a storm on the sea. He literally tells them, "I Am,do not be afraid." Two key things are here for us to notice. First,Jesus uses a name ("I Am") that identifies himself with God who delivered Moses and the Israelites from Egypt. Second, he uses a surprisingly frequent command found throughout the Bible: "Don't be afraid." When we are willing to invite Jesus into our lives during the middle of our storms and messes, he not only says, "I Am, don't be afraid!" but he also helps us find our way to our most important destination, ultimate deliverance."

[Jesus] said to them, "It is I; don't be afraid." Then they were willing to take him into the boat, and immediately the boat reached the shore where they were heading.-- John 6:20-21

It is a fine line for me. I know God is in control of all things, I believe God can calm the seas, all seas, emotional, and Baltic. And I can admit I reach for the salted nuts and the pretzels in the middle of the sea of chaos, and the cake and the ice cream when I am feeling less than...up to it, able, desiring to do it... cast adrift on the sea of melancholy, so I do use food for comfort when I have the actual comforter nearby.

There is a word, gluttony, we don't really use it much in our culture. Derived from the Latin gluttire, meaning to gulp down or swallow in haste. ooops. Guilty.

Medieval church leaders made a list of six (!) ways to commit gluttony...

Praepropere - eating too soon.
Laute - eating too expensively.
Nimis - eating too much.
Ardenter - eating too eagerly (burningly).
Studiose - eating too daintily (keenly).
Forente - eating wildly (boringly).

Ha, guilty again. And of a few at the same time!

Well this has turned into quite a rabbit trail this morning, it's an interesting approach to my own personal epidemic of obesity...(wry grin). Body and Soul, I know mine are connected.

Wishing you a wonderful day!


No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive