Sunday, June 14, 2009

Well, I know I've been waxing poetic for a couple of blog posts about my garden but it's time for me to confess, we have a love/hate relationship. You know how it is, you pull weeds, you perspire, you dig holes, you perspire, you plant the holes that you just dug, you perspire, a little water (?...maybe sweat)...and then....you wait.

But patience does work wonders, and the wonder of it all is why we keep coming back for more year after year.

I am currently in the love love stage of my affair right now, and I'm even going to share some of my love's secrets!



Look at your feet. You are standing in the sky.
When we think of the sky, we tend to look up,
but the sky actually begins at the earth.
- Diane Ackerman


Connection with gardens, even small ones, even potted plants, can
become windows to the inner life. The simple act of stopping and
looking at the beauty around us can be prayer.
- Patricia R. Barrett, The Sacred Garden


A person who undertakes to grow a garden at home,

by practices that will preserve rather than exploit the economy of the soil,

has his mind precisely against what is wrong with us....

What I am saying is that if we apply our minds directly and competently to the needs of the earth, then we will have begun to make fundamental and necessary changes in our minds.

We will begin to understand and to mistrust and to change our wasteful economy, which markets not just the produce of the earth, but also the earth's ability to produce.

- Wendell Berry, 1970

I have come to terms with the future. From this day onward I will
walk easy on the earth. Plant trees. Kill no living things. Live in
harmony with all creatures. I will restore the earth where I am.
Use no more of its resources than I need. And listen, listen to
what it is telling me.
- M. J. Slim Hooey

In my household, we have adopted that attitude to 'restore the earth where I am'. We recycle everything. We are lucky to live in a comunity who believes in and offers the opportunity to recycle as part of trash pickup, and we do our part.



1 comment:

Judy's Vintage Collections said...

I love poetic writings...I love the old songs and there meaning and I do study who wrote them...I can't wait to get my cards...I have a dear Missionary friend...
I send her cards..She and her husband lived in Africa for 41 years she now lives in Texas...
She writes books of her life stories...and I do love to read them...She is now 92 years old
and writing another book...you can "google her name" Nona Freeman she is on the web...She will be receiving the cards I brought from you...I do know her and when I send her a card...she writes me back...She is one of the Sweetest Dearest godly Lady I have ever met!..There are Utubes of her preaching-teaching...I have some of her tapes I listen to over and over...She is so uplifting in Jesus! and great teacher to the Ladies....and Men too....
A great big Hug and lots of love you are too a dear sweet godly lady...I know you care for so many...Jesus loves you!...have a most wonderful day and may the window of heaven pour blessings upon you and your family...Judy

Followers

Blog Archive