Thursday, January 1, 2009

New Year Resolutions?

I really wish I had a list of resolutions a mile long because I love the idea of using a mark in time such as a new year, to plan and measure by. So different from a deadline. I feel for those folks whose lives have them working within the framework of a deadline. A goal is different from a deadline. I love goals, I set my goals, but I dislike deadlines, somebody else sets my deadlines. I'm digressing, my mind is blank. Ah here's a resolution, I'm going to make a daily list in a spiral notebook of mundane and artistic projects and cross through things on the list as I do them. Snap you say? Not for me. The very thought of taking the time to make a list makes my blood run cold in my veins. Two things, it's always a long list, there's always so much to do -am I wasting good paper? And second of all, with pen in hand butt in chair, I hear the siren voices in the mountainous land of laundry and the deafening non-whirr of the vacuum of the vacuum in the closet (double use of vacuum intended). But I've been told by a very successful artist acquaintance that, that's the key to getting stuff done and I think she has more life happening than I do (if that's possible). She even volunteers at the library and co-owns a gallery with 7 board meeting others. I would love to be a successful artist/gallery owner, I would love to even consider my self a successful artist. OK, truth be told I would love to be a successful 'something'. Wisdom says hang with successful people and you'll be a success. I think I'll just heed her advise, and make a list. OK! That's a resolution. Now what...fingers drumming...what do you do when you have one? Wouldn't it be nice if you had a resolution fairy godmother who bibbidy-bobbidy checked up on you to reinforce your intended effort? She'd say, 'good job! I see a scribble on a line!' Or even better if your resolution fairy said 'sit! sit! I'll put the clothes in the dryer'

Do you get the sense that some people just shouldn't make new year's resolutions?

.....weak voice, 'Fairy?....Fairy godmother?....'
Abraham Lincoln:
And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.


No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive